Wednesday 16 April 2014

He Is A Good Man


We eat ugali and salt; our only meal each day
And skimp on other basics
Just to save enough for his private jet to take him picnics.
We pay thrice to have some cloths on our backs
So the taxman can collect enough to fill the coffers
And raise some cash to service our man's debts.
Through the bushy paths we trudge
Surefooted, beating down the freezing dew, as we head to the market
Here, muggers and rapists lie in wait, sometimes
Hunting us like starved lions
It doesn't matter if we get hurt, even die
So long as our man lives behind high perimeter walls
And walks behind another wall of neatly dressed, mean looking armed body guards
It doesn’t matter for he is a good man.

Don't talk rubbish about our man; he is our hero, our savior
They call him corrupt, a murderer
Why do these animals like to blasphame his name?
Don't ask me if he knows me; or knows the smell of my tatters
Yes, I won't marry his beautiful daughter even if I wanted
That I agree; am too poor for that  
But I cannot marry any of these animals either
They who want our man gone to the grave.
Don't remind of me how I broke my leg
When rioting on the streets, fighting for our rights
Yet our man couldn't even come to see me in hospital
And I had to request some of these animal friends to help me pay the bill
Don't remind me of that animal orphan who died a bloody death
When our man's goons descended on her with hateful lust
And punctured her dignity with overzealous manhoods
You can't even say that was our man's work
He wasn’t there in the first place; he wouldn’t do that!
Don't remind me of my Aunt, Lizy
Who has lived in a leaky tent, all these five years
Do you think our man has forgotten her plight?
That he used her vexation to bargain for power
And then turned his back on her wounds and tears?
Don't remind me these things
I know our man
He is a good man!

Last month he came
On a convoy of huge black cars, mammoths of the road
He stirred the village awake, gave us an instant holiday
We abandoned our hoes, to go sing his name and praises
We sprinkled our scarce water on the bumpy dusty road
To spare him a bout of sneezing
Out in the scortching sun, amidst the surging crowd, we craned our necks for a better view
Our man talked from the cool podium, with a mike in his soft hand
The voice of our people, the lion of the tribe of our land
We listened and cheered and clapped hard our callused hands
Just to make light his heart; just to make him leaves us something small
He will come back after a few years, to ask for our votes
It will not matter if he has delivered on his past pledges
He is a good man!


If we don't mind paying the mortgage
For his third palatial home; while we live under leaky thatch
If we pay extra for food; to help him maintain his numerous mistresses
If we will rush again to his rallies
To swallow his lies without chewing!
If we will vote him again; just because he is our man

Then he is a good man!

4 comments:

  1. Thoughtful, self-confronting, delightfully presented. This is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a poet, but this resonates like a beautiful song I keep in the heart. Kudos Nyasili. Poet Lounge needs you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. But what is Poet Lounge? Elaborate please.

      Delete